About Me

My photo
Howden, East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I'm a 53 year old senior manager in Local Government. My interests include current affairs, travel, walking, reading, art & culture and sport. The views expressed in this blog are entirely my own and do not represent the views of anyone else or of any organisation.

Saturday 6 September 2008

A Mauling For The Railwaymen


I was at Elland Road today to witness Leeds United beat my second favourite team, Crewe Alexandra 5-2 in League One. Leeds totally outplayed Crewe and it was actually 5-0 going into injury time at the end of the match when the Leeds defender, Lubo Michalik foolishly got himself sent off for a needless second bookable offence. In the remaining two minutes, Crewe somehow contrived to score two goals when they hadn't looked like scoring one during the preceding 90 minutes - another example of the unexpected nature of football which helps to keep a lot of us transfixed. It was also strange to be at Elland Road watching a League One match because as I walked to the ground I recalled my visit there on an ice-cold day shortly before Christmas 2001 when Leeds were top of the Premier League and Newcastle beat them 4-3 in a thrilling match with Nolberto Solano scoring the last minute winner which led to Bobby Robson doing a jig of joy on the touchline - those were the days!

No comments: