About Me

My photo
Howden, East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I'm a 53 year old senior manager in Local Government. My interests include current affairs, travel, walking, reading, art & culture and sport. The views expressed in this blog are entirely my own and do not represent the views of anyone else or of any organisation.

Tuesday 24 March 2009

Nudging Our Way To A Better Future

I'm not long back from hearing Richard Thaler speak at the London School of Economics about his book Nudge which he co-authored with Cass Sunstein who is now Barack Obama's 'nudger-in-chief' at the dull but important sounding 'Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs'.

I'll have more to say about this in later posts but it was an enjoyable and interesting 75 minute session during which Thaler described his ambition as being about, "creating a better world through freedom of choice" - a somewhat surprising self-description given that he often gets described as a nanny-stater. Thaler said that he and Sunstein were experimenting in seeing how far we can go in achieving social change without forcing anyone to do anything against their will.

More to follow...

No comments: